Saturday, May 4, 2013

2013 So Far (Jan - Apr) Top 5 2013 Releases

The final part of my assessment of the first four months of 2013 is the one most people care about I guess, the best movies released this year. I've seen 21 of them and these are the best 5:

5. John Dies at the End - Dir. Don Coscarelli

4. American Mary - Dir. The Soska Sisters

3. Dans La Maison - Dir. Francois Ozon

2. Side Effects - Dir. Steven Soderbergh

1. The Hunt - Dir. Thomas Vinterberg

OK that's it, I fully expect the top 2 to still be around come the end of the year but the others I'm not so sure about. Very good films all the same however.

What have you seen? What are your favourites from the year? Join the conversation in the comments or tweet @BBBGToby with #2013best.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, The Hunt is definitely one of the best new films.
    The trailer for John Dies looks insane, look forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know it's a straight to VOD film and should still be available to watch from iTunes and Amazon. I have a full review if you're interested. http://blahblahblahgay.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/johndiesattheend.html

      Delete
  2. Really looking forward to The Hunt. Love seeing Side Effects so high on your list. It's also in my top 5 of the year so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually pretty annoyed that The Hunt isn't getting a release in Western Australia. I got lucky and saw it at a festival over Summer, if it hadn't been for that festival I probably wouldn't have seen it. Those lucky folk in the Eastern states.

      Side Effects hasn't exactly had much competition from American films so far this year in my opinion. Even so it's a very good movie that I can't wait to see again. Technically Hunt and American Mary are 2012 films too but they've been given wide release dates in 2013 so I'm totally counting them.

      Delete